Friday, January 18, 2013

Reflection on Using iPad for TL


Untitled
Originally uploaded by UmmAbdrahmaan @ busy!
I too have explored iPad2 as a tool in TL. My verdict: it's more of a hype than a real utility.

It's sleek, new and lighter. I consider buying it because of 8MP camera that comes with iPad2. (I'm an avid photographer!)

Story #1:
It's great for note taking purposes. I can just type away in note and email it to my email. But I loose all the notes when the app went hay wired. The notes appear duplicated, then tripled, then quadrupled. I delete new copies and leave the bottom one. Later, when I switch on the iPad, all my notes are gone!

Story #2:
I use once in the class (2010). After the demonstration on the basics of Photoshop in my Multimedia English class, I pass around iPad so the students can see for themselves the app describing the steps. As usual, the students ask for a copy. Without their own iPad, it's pretty hard to download a copy. Some students scribble the steps explained in the app in their notebook. Since my approach is leaning more towards experiential learning, I reminded them that it's the skills they should be after and not memorising the steps.

Story #3:
iPad is not as versatile as laptops. It's limited in function. For real work, get a regular laptop. That's what I'm telling others who ask for my opinion either to get regular laptop or iPad. The apps are great. My 6 year old son loves different educational apps for learning alphabets, phonics, reading and even the explores the universe with an app.

My iPad is now mostly in my son's possession. Now, he uses it to play the Battleship game and competes trying to out do with his uncle who is playing the same game. Before it was the dragon vale, Snoopy Street Fair etc till he gets tired of the game of till his uncle and cousins introduce a new game app. As for me, I'm using the iPad as a disciplining tool with my son - as a reward and punishment. When he misbehave, I'll take the iPad away from him. So far, as a disciplining tool, it works great. It's just happened that my son has been without iPad for a week now.


With hundreds of thousands of apps available, I can do wonders in creating learning materials. There was an email from Prof Amin about a workshop on using iPad in TL and I've signed up to attend it next month.

I'm sort of in a quandary now thinking how will I get it away from my son. I've spoken to my brother to borrow his new iPad for the worship. Hubby iPad probably would not work well for this workshop since his iPad is without video capability.

I think, I'll just withhold it from my son indefinitely.... He's already crying foul, "Momma doesn't love me anymore because she doesn't give me the iPad"!

No comments: