Sunday, December 16, 2012

Teaching and Learning in Higher Education

Teaching is an art.

Thus, how do you evaluate teaching?

Would you do it the same way you evaluate arts?

What is some other person claimed that teaching is a science?

The thing about science is that it can very what it claim by some sort of measurement.

How do we really evaluate someone's teaching?

When they look for the winner of the AAN -Anugerah Akademik Negara (National Academic Award) to the best teacher from higher education institutions, what they look into is really a carefully crafted and presented statement of personal belief and philosophy on teaching, practiced pedagogy and supported by evidences of is being claimed in form of artifacts of teaching.

What? Teaching artifacts? and you thought that you'd only find the term in introduction to sociology class... hahhaaaa...

yes! Teaching Artifacts!

What are teaching artifacts?

Your course syllabus, tests and quizzes you gave the students to measure their learning, drafts of writing turned in complete with your scribbled notes on the margins as well as any card or notes of appreciations you get from your students.

So, in today's 21st century learning environment, your teaching artifacts can in in the form of wikispaces that your students created as as a part of the class evaluation, the glogster that your students published for the class activity, or the voicethread project that you are doing with your students, the flickr accounts you created to have your students uploaded the photos they shoot and edited using the photoshop, the YouTube account you created to have them uploaded their educational video project using freely available windows movie maker or any video editing software within their disposal and even Facebook comments on your wall appreciating what you have done for them or private messages they send you through emails can be your teaching artifacts. Don't forget the best lecturer award you get during TESL dinner in 2010 and link the picture of you on the stage receiving the present from the deputy dean :) While I am at it, I have plenty of photos uploaded to my personal Flickr on activities done but unfortunately, I normally don't have my own photos in those event. Bummer!

Needless to say, in the 21st Century Teaching and Learning environment, if the server isn't plugged off (my Muxlim blog was shut down), your teaching artifacts are going to be within reach at the touch of the tab or pad.

So, to my friends who are planning to apply for the AAN in the future, please start collecting your evidences so that you can be said that you walk the talk - you did what you said you did by showing your teaching artifacts.

Start cut and paste your links to web2.0 tools you are using in your teaching and learning into your online CV now.

I have started my LinkedIn account in May 2011 but it was just last month that I managed to update 90% of the required information. The same goes for my Academia account.

and how I boast about what I do best?

Oh yes! My students always tell me that they enjoy my classes because of my enthusiasm. However, most written feedback on my teaching and learning evaluation form are comment on how beautiful I look :) save one. He commented on my tendency to speak English too fast that they can't follow. For weak classes, I'd have to slow down my rate of speech but for good classes, I speak at my normal rate and they seem to understand fine. I try very hard to reduce the use of slang words and increase the use of international academic vocabulary when that choice of word comes to mind.

Hasta MaƱana!

~to be continued~

No comments: